Billy Boot Camp
Globe Theatre is looking for young performers in Saskatchewan!
Commencing Summer 2019, Billy Boot Camp is a two-week intensive Globe Theatre School training program designed to help young people gain the necessary singing, dancing and acting experience to audition for Globe Theatre’s production of Billy Elliot the Musical. Participants will take classes in all disciplines from professional artists, with the opportunity to audition at the end of the program for the roles of Billy or Michael.
There is no cost to participate, but applications must be submitted to be considered.
- We are looking for young, committed male or self-identifying male performers who are energetic, athletic and musical. Strong ballet, tap and acrobatic skills are an asset, but not required.
- Performers must be a minimum of 9 years old as of July 2019. Able to play 11 years of age, be under five feet tall and have an unbroken voice (soprano).
- Ability to learn a dialect.
How to apply
Submit the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org, by April 6, 2019 at 5:00 PM CST:
- Completed and signed Application Form (download here)
- Recent photo showing full face (a school photo or similar is acceptable)
- Resume including contact information, age, height and dance experience in ballet, tap, singing and theatre, awards, levels reached, etc.
- A video via YouTube or Vimeo link:
- Please prepare a solo, short dance combination in a style that you feel shows off your best skills. Video should be maximum five minutes in length, include full name, age and city at the beginning of the video.
What are the dates of Billy Boot Camp?
July 29–Aug 9, 2019 (Days off include Aug 3, 4, 5)
Where will the Billy Boot Camp be held?
Kids Can Dance (1350 Cornwall Street) in Regina, Saskatchewan.
How long will the days be and what will the classes be like?
Billy Bootcamp will run 9:00 AM–4:00 PM every day. Participants will have group classes in ballet, jazz, tap, acrobatics, acting, improvisation and singing as well as individual vocal training. The classes will help them to prepare to audition for the roles of Billy and Michael.
Who are the instructors?
Past and present Globe Theatre School instructors and professional artists.
How many young performers will be accepted into the program?
We will accept 20 young performers.
What is the cost of the program?
The is no cost, but acceptance is based on application.
By attending this camp will my child get the part of Billy?
Participants are not guaranteed a role in the production. The last two days of the boot camp will be audition dates. We are casting two young artists for the role of Billy. Individuals participating will also be considered for the role of Michael.
Why have you created this training program?
Globe Theatre would like to identify young performers in the province and help them to gain the necessary singing, dancing and acting experience to audition for the role of Billy. Whether they get cast in the role or not, the professional training they receive will be a huge benefit to their development as a young artist.
What does my child need to bring to Billy Boot Camp?
They should bring a water bottle, snacks and a packed lunch. Dance shoes for ballet, jazz and tap as well as clean sneakers.
What should my child wear to class?
For dance classes, they should wear appropriate dance attire, but can bring comfortable clothes for acting and singing classes.
When will rehearsals be for the Globe Theatre production of Billy Elliot the Musical?
Rehearsals will commence at the end of April 2020 with an opening night in May and will run through June 2020. In addition, there will also be some training for the young performers who are cast as Billy in early 2020. Dates TBD.
When will I know if my child has been accepted into the boot camp?
Participants can expect to hear if they’ve been accepted by the end of April 2019.
For further questions, please contact:
Aimee Garchinski | Theatre School & Community Engagement Coordinator
306.924.2834 // email@example.com